On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 13:09:36 BST Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > Anyone know haoe to fix the IP Address on an Android phone?
>
> It seems it's possible, e.g. https://it.uoregon.edu/node/3559

Not any more it seems.  That page was written when Jelly Bean was the latest
version of Android (4.1, circa 2012).  My device is Nougat (Android 7.0) and
the current one is Oreo (Android 8.0).

I can remember plugging a Micro USB to Ethernet Adaptor into my old Nexus 5
phone and it worked, but that was probably Android 6.0 or even 5.0 at the
time.

My Moto G5 Plus, doesn't even blink when I plug the adaptor in, so I can't set
an IP Address for the port, since Ethernet ports are no longer supported.

Having spent the morning buying a new phone for my wife (said Nexus 5 popped
its clogs yesterday), I am now looking at this again.

One thing: I remembered that I'd been able to lay my hands on a Pi Zero for
the WMT and it's been in my spares draw ever since.  So assuming that I can
cobble together enough peripherals, I should be able to set up the
configuration that you suggested.