On Wednesday, 20 June 2018 14:12:08 BST Terry Coles wrote:
> One thing: I remembered that I'd been able to lay my hands on a Pi Zero for
> the WMT and it's been in my spares draw ever since.  So assuming that I can
> cobble together enough peripherals, I should be able to set up the
> configuration that you suggested.

It's taken me a while, and several iterations, but at last I've made some
progress.  It took
me a some time to get sufficient cables and adapters to allow me to set up a
system like
this:

Internet --- House Router ---- RPi Router --- RPi Client

The LHS of RPi Router goes through the USB / Ethernet Adapter and is configured
by the Pi
as eth1.  It obtains its address using DHCP in the House Router.

The RHS of RPi Router goes through the default Ethernet port and is configured
by the Pi
as eth0.  It has a fixed IP address.

The RPI Client is connected through the default Ethernet port and is configured
by the Pi
as eth0.  It has a fixed IP address.

I then tried to set up the Router Pi using a combination of the settings from
the
PiMyLifeUp and the QckTech  pages referenced earlier and found that I ended up
with a
broken DHCP server.  I did this several times starting from a clean
installation of Raspbian.

This morning, I ignored the QckTech page completely (ie, no settings in the
interfaces file)
and did what I did originally, by following the PiMyLifeUp AP Tutorial at:

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-wireless-access-point/

but substituting eth1 for wlan0 and setting the IP Addresses / Ranges as above.

Everything worked but I had exactly the same response as I had on Sunday wrt
the route
metrics.

There isn't much online (that I could see) about the meaning of the metrics,
but eventually
it dawned on me that the user of an Access Point *wants* the route to be that
way round.
I simply reversed the iptables setup and I can now ping from my Client Pi to
the Internet.

Now I can get back to installing NodogSplash....