On 09/07/2022 09:53, Peter Merchant wrote:
Total standby power of devices in the house  = 28.5 watts  This is sort of  invalid because the monitors on my 2 tower PC's are on a switch that turns them off when the PC is off so their standby power is less then. Also the meter seemed to register in increments of 0.5 watts.

That's not a lot for a whole house, is it?
At work we have a server which - from memory - used 30 or 40 watts when in standby.

So just my thoughts on saving some money. A rough calculation gives a cost of £62.5  per year keeping the house on standby.

I don't think it's quite that simple. That 'waste' energy will be heating the house, so in winter (or, most of the year here) it will be turning your heating off sooner. Assuming of course you have good insulation and thermostats. So it's the difference in cost of 28.5 watts of electricity vs. gas, oil, wood, penguins, coal or whatever you use to heat the house.

It always amused me how many people replaced the light bulbs inside their house with the energy savering ones but would completely ignore the lights outside where all the heat was wasted.

--

Andrew.