Don't know if any of this will  help, but thoughts on the matter.

I didn't know that KDE had it's own partition manager. I have always used gparted. And I have always had swap as a separate partition, not within /home.


And I just had a look at my new computer build, and  I just have the one partition with everything on it except 300 MB for the EFI stuff.

 I must have been tired when I built it. It's the first time that I have used an NVME disk.

Peter

On 20/09/2026 15:52, Terry Coles wrote:
Hi,

First of all a salutary lesson; I was looking at my free swap space this morning when I realised that instead of the partition being 15 GB, it was 15 MB!!  This must have occurred when I did a clean installation of Kubuntu some time ago.  (in my own defence, I find the KDE partition Manager somewhat confusing when it comes to displaying the size of partitions, because it only displays bytes.

Anyway, I realised that this could well be the problem that I've been experiencing for some time, with certain news sites slowing the browser to a stop and eventually forcing a restart.  (I reported this on this list some time ago.)

Not a problem, I thought.  I'll simply shrink the adjacent partition and increase the swap.  However, the swap partition is on my /home partition and the whole thing took several hours. Furthermore, an error occured when moving the home data and although I can see the folders, some of the hidden ones appear to be missing and unfortunately the most important one is /home/terry.config.  To add to my woes the configuration for the Backup program, which I use in Kubuntu is nowhere to be seen. (This is the Backup program that is a front end to Deja Dup, not the identically named one that Ubuntu installs by default.)

Not a problem, I thought, I'll simply point Backup to restore from the smb: server on my network, which has held my backups for years now.  I can seen the backup files at:

smb://TerryJColes@readynas/TerryJColes/Backups/Optiplex/Duplicity/OptiPlex/

Unfortunately, the setup interface in DejaDup Backup has changed and I cannot get it to see the files that I know are there.  This has always been a bit fiddly and I previously had to enter the above path in two parts to make it work, but no combination of pathnames appears to work now.

Can anyone suggest how I can define the correct path, or alternatively how would do it from a terminal (BTW Konsole also seems to be broken, but Gnome Terminal seems to work).

--

Terry Coles



--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to