On 20/09/2026 18:20, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
If it's a swap file, it could be within the /home /partition, but
then you'd be enlarging /home so the swap file could be bigger.
Yes.  That's exactly what I was trying to do when the error occurred.
Okay, https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/deja-dup/-/wikis/Manual-Restore
says there can be two forms of Deja Dup backups: the old Duplicity, and
the new Restic; looks like you may have the old, though it's worth
checking what's there matches that web page's description.

I've used Deja Dup since well before U(K)bunbtu decided to hijack the front end and simply (and confusingly) call it backup.  That's probably at least 15-20 years (my oldest backup say 2015, but it is setup to delete old archives). Also the pathname for the archive contains 'Duplicity' confirming that is what I used originally.

These may help having skimmed them.  Read them through.

     
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1387485/restore-from-deja-dup-backup-on-samba-share-a-synology-nas
     https://answers.launchpad.net/deja-dup/+question/700551

There is some helpful stuff in there including (as a last resort I feel) downloading the files and decompressing them to another drive, whereupon I'll be able to restore the files over the top of the remaining files in /home.

However, I feel that I could do the retrieval as above and then look at /home/terry/.config in the retrieved files to see what pathname has been stored.

I'll spend many happy hours, no doubt, doing this.

In general, I've found Deja Dup's documentation to be scant.
I wouldn't use it.  Perhaps it was better in the past.

I have no idea what half of it means.  The restic documentation appears to be equally dense.

One final question; does anyone know if the Ubuntu Backup utility continues to use duplicity on old archives or uses restic.  If the latter, that may explain why the old pathname no longer works.


--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to