On 23/09/2026 07:51, Terry Coles wrote:
The only other PC that I have is my Laptop, which already has Deja Dup Backup installed.  However, that is also demonstrating the same problem, so I think that the error that I experienced during the partitioning may be a red herring.  I have used the restore function many times over the years and I don't believe in the same fault developing on two independent PCs at the same time, so I can only suspect that the updated version of Deja Dup Backup and or the way that 26/04 handles pathnames to SMB: Servers has changed something that doesn't agree with my setup.  I am currently copying the backup files to a new location on the NAS (I don't have a big enough local drive), with a less complicated pathname.

It's been some time since I had occasion to restore files after a disaster, so I have no idea when the system changed and became broken in respect of accessing files on my SMB: Server.  I have some shortcuts in Dolphin (Places they call them) and those shortcuts continue to work.  However, if the pathname is copied or typed into the Dolphin Location bar, it doesn't work!  This appears to be the case on my laptop too.  As mentioned above, I copied all of the targz files from their original location on the NAS to a new location at:

smb://TerryJColes@readynas/Family/Optiplex_Backups/

 a process that took nearly four hours because there are nearly 2200 files totaling 404 GB.  I originally tried to move them to:

smb://TerryJColes@readynas/Family/Backups/Optiplex, but that wouldn't work until I reduced the depth of the pathname to the directory detailed above.  I then discovered that I couldn't restore the files to their original location, because Backup said that I didn't have permission to do so.  I was given no opportunity to enter the password, so I had to restore the latest backup to a new folder in my home directory (I believe I will have enough space to replicate the /home data without the disc filling up).  That has now been running for around 2 hrs and I'm not halfway yet ;-(

I still don't know if I will then be able to restore everything to normality at the end of this.

--

Terry Coles


--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to