Hi Terry,

> Unfortunately in my running system, .config is continuously being
> updated so I get the same error.
>
> Should I restore the backup to another dirstory and then copy it over
> /home later, or will this also give me problems?

I think it's what I wrote earlier:

    I'd have thought you restore the backup to a new location, getting
    it as recent as you want, e.g. full plus several incrementals.
    That's then the content to fill /home from scratch.  The existing
    /home's content gets moved aside so you can cherry-pick bits from it
    later that are newer than the last incremental you restored from.

    A restore doesn't get put over the top of the current; it needs to
    sit underneath.  That's can't be done so you start from zero, add
    the restore, add current.

On a new system, create users terry and terry2.  As terry2, alter
/home/terry as you see fit.

-- 
Cheers, Ralph.

-- 
  Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
  Check to whom you are replying
  Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
  New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to