On 27/09/2026 11:08, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
- If you restore an old snapshot over the current /home/terry, you are
   replaying time out of order giving a bit of a mishmash.

- Whereas the snapshot alone might be good enough if it's recent.

- If not, you can judiciously take bits from the current one to move the
   snapshot-based /home/terry forward in time.

In the end, I bit the bullet and working from my additional user's login, completely deleted everything in /home/terry.  I then moved everything from the local backup repository to /home/terry, rebooted and I appear to have (almost) everything back.  My 7 Plasma Activities have been restored and are ranged along the taskbar as they always were.  Within each Activity, there a Plasma Widget which contain Launchers apropos to the Activity, and, so far everything seems to be working fine.

*****************

Also, I've just received a response from the author of Deja Dup who says in response to my query:

/However that has created a new problem because I cannot restore any files because I get this error:/

/|Restore '/home/terry/.config' is not empty or is current_dir. Will not overwrite.|/

/Is this because I was forced to reinstall Kubuntu 26/04 (including clearing the /home directory to get a usable system). How can I get Deja Dup to ignore that error and overwrite the existing files on the new installation./

with

/Aha - that’s an incompatibility with newer versions of duplicity hat has been fixed but maybe hasn’t made it to Ubuntu yet./

/Either:/

 * /restore to an empty folder/
 * /grab the flathub release of Deja Dup who can has a fix for this/

Next time I trash my system, I'll make sure it's not just before a new release.

--
Terry Coles
--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to