On 26/09/2026 18:16, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
I think it's what I wrote earlier:

     I'd have thought you restore the backup to a new location, getting
     it as recent as you want, e.g. full plus several incrementals.
     That's then the content to fill /home from scratch.  The existing
     /home's content gets moved aside so you can cherry-pick bits from it
     later that are newer than the last incremental you restored from.

Yes.  I did see that, and that's exactly what I was attempting to do yesterday evening.  Unfortunately, I had to re-install Kubuntu again and then I couldn't get your sequence of bash commands to work, so I went to bed in disgust.

This morning, I realised that in order to work, I had to install cifs-utils, which isn't included in a Kubuntu installation by default.  Yesterday, I had installed it, prior to your post, while I was rummaging around looking for smb files on my NAS.

     A restore doesn't get put over the top of the current; it needs to
     sit underneath.  That's can't be done so you start from zero, add
     the restore, add current.
Yes. As I said at the time, I didn't really understand this bit.  I know what I have to do, but what did you mean by 'sit underneath'?
On a new system, create users terry and terry2.  As terry2, alter
/home/terry as you see fit.

That is exactly what I am going right now.

--

Terry Coles



--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to