On 27/09/2026 08:16, Terry Coles wrote:
On 26/09/2026 18:16, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
On a new system, create users terry and terry2.  As terry2, alter
/home/terry as you see fit.

That is exactly what I am going right now.

OK.  I now have a directory full of restored files and a new user.  What is the best way of copying the restored files from the new user's login, to my current /home?

I can see a couple of ways:

1.  Do the copy with sudo.

2.  Use a live disc and copy the files that way.

Either way, I'm going to have to chown the new files to allow me to login and run the system normally.

Is there a better way?

--

Terry Coles


--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to