Hi Terry,

> I realised that in order to work, I had to install cifs-utils

Yes, that package allows mount(8) to handle the ‘-t cifs’ giving the
filesystem's type.

> >      A restore doesn't get put over the top of the current; it needs
> >      to sit underneath.  That's can't be done so you start from
> >      zero, add the restore, add current.
>
> Yes.  As I said at the time, I didn't really understand this bit.
> I know what I have to do, but what did you mean by 'sit underneath'?

Every backup of /home/terry is a snapshot in time.
The mechanism may consist of full backups or incremental ones,
but that's an implementation detail;
logically, a new snapshot has been made.

You current, live /home/terry is newer than any snapshot.
Logging in as terry2 stops /home/terry being live, but it's still more
current than any snapshot.

- If you restore an old snapshot over the current /home/terry, you are
  replaying time out of order giving a bit of a mishmash.

- Whereas the snapshot alone might be good enough if it's recent.

- If not, you can judiciously take bits from the current one to move the
  snapshot-based /home/terry forward in time.

-- 
Cheers, Ralph.

-- 
  Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
  Check to whom you are replying
  Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
  New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to