john <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
Doug,

I seem to remember bias voltage being an issue for this problem....

Best 73
John k5Mo

At 04:52 PM 10/27/2007, Doug Smith wrote:

Doug Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made an utterance to the drakelist gang
[I posted on this a while back but am just getting around to it.]

My T-4XC has been intermittently "hanging" in transmit mode on CW.
Everything runs along fine but periodically when I stop sending the
transmitter doesn't seem to drop out of TX mode and normal bias current
is registered on the TX meter.  During these episodes there is no RF
output (unless I hit the key again then I get normal RF out).

If I then send a long string of dits when I stop the T/R function
usually resumes normal operation - for a while.

Today I pulled the AC-4 out of the MS-4 and measured the various
voltages:

High B+         683 VDC with 0.4 VAC ripple
Low B+          278 VDC with 0.12 VAC ripple
Bias            -59.5 VDC with 0.022 VAC ripple

Which all seem a bit high but mostly nominal.  The bias range is from
-45 to -95.  The ripple figures are peak to peak as measured on my
'scope.  I poked around underneath the AC-4 and I don't see anything
that looks 'wrong'.

I was able to reproduce this problem this morning but I am unable to
reproduce the problem now that I've fooled around with the AC-4.

For the life of me, it *feels* like the T/R relay is simply hanging up
when transitioning from transmit to receive.  But, I'd rather develop a
theory based on something other than what I *feel*..

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I oughta be looking at?

Tnx and 73,
-Doug, W7KF