On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:54:15 -0700, Richard Knoppow wrote: >I was taugh that correct usage and punctuation >was important and that people would judge you by it. I think >now that I was simply taught to be an intellectual snob. >Anyone can be one, you don't need a lot of money or an >impressive wardrobe.
Snipped and bottom posted (just to annoy Garey... :) ). My mother was a school teacher, and we tended to play little grammar and punctuation games when I was young. Grammatic absurdities were a favorite target. That's part of it. When I went "online" with dialup BBSes here in the city back in the mid 80s (note the lack of apostrophe), most of the BBSes were either run by college professors, college students, or teenagers that were smart enough to know how to set up a BBS on an Apple II and had parents who were well-off enough to buy them one. In that crowd, poor grammar, syntax, and punctuation would get you ignored at best. To gain any credibility, you HAD to know how to present yourself and your ideas well. So there is something to that, you won't get very far in some online communities if your prose sux. IOW, if you type stupid, they think you are stupid.... As I get older, I've found that I have to proof my posts better. I don't always do as well as I think I should, but WTF. I'm not entirely sure why the apostrophe thing bugs me so much, but when people who have more education than I have and (presumably) make a lot more money than I do don't know the difference between plural and possessive, it just annoys me. The thing is, it seems to be everywhere these days. Other than that, my only other peeve is quote trimming, especially when people complain about a spam post and proceed to quote the whole spam in their complaint. But back to Drakes, since this is the Drake's list, after all. 73 -Jim -- Ham Radio NU0C Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A. TR7/RV7/R7A/L7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C/L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750, IBM PS/2 - all vintage, all the time! "Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime." HyGain 3750 User's Group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HyGain_3750/ http://incolor.inetnebr.com/jshorney http://www.nebraskaghosts.org _______________________________________________ Drakelist mailing list [email protected] http://mailman.zerobeat.net/mailman/listinfo/drakelist

