  From: Steve Wedge
  To: drakelist@zerobeat.net
  Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 1:16 PM
  Subject: [Drakelist] T-4XC PTO chirps

  Bob -

  Don't be surprised that you don't see anything on the scope trace when
viewing a chirpy PTO signal.  10 Hz or even a few tens of Hz will likely not be
visible on an oscilloscope as it represents a fraction of a percent of the
frequency involved.

  The usual things to check first are:
  is the yoke grounded? (I believe there is a strap on the C-Line, IIRC);
  Is your regulated voltage to the PTO holding solid?

  IMO, if both of the above are okay, you may be looking at what Garey and I
found wrong with my R-4A a while back - a bad silver-mica capacitor in the
resonant circuit.  The one that went bad in mine wasn't a typical-looking part,
but a tubular one with color-coding.  In the bipolar PTO, its value was about
92 pF - check your schematic.  It will be the one that's in direct parallel
with the coil.

  Removing the PTO - at least with the A's and B's - requires removal of the
front panel.  This is a good time to clean it as well as the fiducial window.
Use only dish soap for the window or you'll take off the red line!

  Let us know how you make out.

  73,

  Steve Wedge, W1ES/4

  "I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
  - Joe Walsh

  If the above message appears, it came from Steve's Son of Laptop!

  Message: 6