I meant Dogbone caps, not horseshoe. Sheesh.

Hi Guys,
Here is an update on my T-4XC PTO adventure. I eventually removed the PTO from the transmitter and put it in a panavise on my bench, powered it up and listened to it on my TR-7 with a sniffer wire. While monitoring the tone, I tapped on the rod that carries the ferrite slug. It would make the frequency change and stay on the new frequency every time I tapped it. As an experiment, I opened up the R-4C and tapped on the end of the slug shaft on it. On the R-4C, the frequency would change but always return to the original freq. To make a long story short, I found hardened grease in the ball bearing races. I cleaned the ball bearings, races and the drive screw with denatured alcohol. The frequency returns to the same tone now every time I tap it and the warbling is gone when I turn the knob. I was and am convinced I fixed the problem.

Here is the part where Murphy rears his ugly head. I put the PTO back together and reinstalled it in the T-4XC and presto!!............what?.... dead silence. I used the PTO to control the R-4C still ....dead silence. I checked power and ground it looks fine but still, nary an oscillation from the PTO. So I unsoldered the wires and hauled it's sorry a?!%#$ back onto the bench. Powered it up and still nothing. Obviously, I hosed it somehow during the re-install. I looked for a solder problem around the output terminal it looked ok, but there were a couple of strands of wire from the old connection that the solder sucker (me) missed, but they weren't touching anything. Maybe they were touching something when it was installed, I don't know.

At any rate, its dead now and I suspect a semiconductor. here are my questions: (about time eh?)

I have the diodes in stock but not the FET or the buffer transistor. If I have to make a Digikey (or Mouser) order anyway, maybe I should just shot gun the thing and put in all new parts except the coils. I also have a PTO from a parts rig that has issues. I would like to rebuild it as well. Will I get into problems with tolerance stackups? I suspect that is why there are "select at test" caps in there.

Can I replace the coax that goes from the PTO output to the wafer switch with RG-174? (to give myself a small service loop, to make the re-install easier)

If it turns out to be a cap, or if I shotgun it, is there a modern replacement for those horseshoe caps?

Is there anything special about the temperature compensating caps, like a backwards temp coefficient for bucking freq drift or something? Is there an easy replacement for those?

Sorry for the long post about my epic struggle against the evil Murphy.
If the 49ers hadn't won, it truly would have been a lost weekend.

Thanks as always,

Bob  K6GGO

Garey, Eddy, Paul, Curt and Steve,
Thanks for the quick replies guys. This is a great bunch on this list. I am convinced that it is the PTO. If I lightly tap on the PTO can with a pencil tip (and I mean very lightly) it causes the signal to jump around. Maybe just a cold solder joint. I have a parts radio (T-4XC) with a PTO in it. I guess I'll haul it out and test it. If it's stable, I will swap it with the faulty one. Can I then rebuild (shotgun) the bad PTO with all new parts? or is there special parts in there that I have to be careful with? I probably have most of the stuff in stock (NPO caps, metal film resistors etc.). It would be handy to have a nice new spare because I also have a B-Line. Also, A 5Mhz PTO is a nice thing to have around, homebrew QRP rigs etc.

I have a HP signal generator, so I think I will try Paul's suggestion on the Lissajous display. Perhaps I can find the faulty component with some freeze spray and make this a quick repair. Maybe learn something in the process (heaven forbid).

I wrote this e-mail in three sittings as real life keeps intervening. The bottom line is, thanks for all the help, I will let you know how I proceed and the results thereof.

73,

Bob  K6GGO