Garey, Eddy, Paul, Curt and Steve,
Thanks for the quick replies guys. This is a great bunch on this list. I am convinced that it is the PTO. If I lightly tap on the PTO can with a pencil tip (and I mean very lightly) it causes the signal to jump around. Maybe just a cold solder joint. I have a parts radio (T-4XC) with a PTO in it. I guess I'll haul it out and test it. If it's stable, I will swap it with the faulty one. Can I then rebuild (shotgun) the bad PTO with all new parts? or is there special parts in there that I have to be careful with? I probably have most of the stuff in stock (NPO caps, metal film resistors etc.). It would be handy to have a nice new spare because I also have a B-Line. Also, A 5Mhz PTO is a nice thing to have around, homebrew QRP rigs etc.

I have a HP signal generator, so I think I will try Paul's suggestion on the Lissajous display. Perhaps I can find the faulty component with some freeze spray and make this a quick repair. Maybe learn something in the process (heaven forbid).

I wrote this e-mail in three sittings as real life keeps intervening. The bottom line is, thanks for all the help, I will let you know how I proceed and the results thereof.

73,

Bob  K6GGO

On 2011-10-26, at 1:16 PM, Steve Wedge wrote:

Removing the PTO - at least with the A's and B's - requires removal of the front panel. This is a good time to clean it as well as the fiducial window. Use only dish soap for the window or you'll take off the red line!
*/
/*
*/Hi Guys,/*

Well, I can not vouch for the "A" & "B" series, but in my T-4X transmitter /that/extensive a dis-aasembly is most assuredly */NOT/*required...

After removing the three tubes immediately behind the PTO can, the can itself is extricated by first dis-connecting the top grounding spring, & then lightly squeezing together the "side prongs" that hold the can in place, one prong at a time (this is by far the /WORSE/part of the operation, and the most time-consuming).

The can is slipped off the assembly, rearward (where the 3 tubes were).

Next, with a pair of long needle-nose pliers, each brass spacer that you see at the front of the vertical PTO board is grasped (so the spacers won't fall & get lost), and a slotted screw driver is used to unscrew the 4 screws that go through them. The PTO board & coil assembly is now loose, save for the 3 wires that are attached to the front vertical board: draw a simple sketch showing where these are connected so that you'll remember when you re-assemble everything, then touch each point on the board with a soldering iron to release each wire...

The entire assembly is then slipped back off of the brass rod with the ferrite slugs on it.

Absolutely /no need/to remove the front panel, no need for /anything/that complicated, or involved...

To re-assemble, simply reverse this procedure! Hi Hi

*/~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ/*