On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 02:04:47 +0000
RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 00:24:52 +0100
> "Steve" <steeeeev...@gmx.net> wrote:
>

> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > > Datum: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:36:16 +0000
> > > Von: RW <rwmailli...@googlemail.com>
> > > An: dspam-community-de...@lists.sourceforge.net
> > > CC: dspam-community-u...@lists.sourceforge.net,
> > > dspam-community-de...@lists.sourceforge.net,
> > > dspam-users@lists.nuclearelephant.com,
> > > dspam-...@lists.nuclearelephant.com Betreff: Re:
> > > [Dspam-community-devel] I would appreciate some feedback
>
> > > I was put-off using DSPAM for a long time because it wasn't clear
> > > to me that it could even be used without mta integration,
> > > quarantine etc. And the idea of managing spam through a webpage,
> > > or forwarding addresses seems very clumsy compared with dragging
> > > to a learn-spam folder or setting a flag.

Please help us with the documentation then ;-)

> > Funny you mention this because that would require IMAP integration
> > but above you complained about MTA integration.
>
> Firstly, learning from folders doesn't require any IMAP integration if
> DSPAM is on the same machine as the folders. It doesn't even imply the
> use of imap if the folders are local to your home directory.

Indeed.

> Bogofilter and spamassassin can both learn whole folders in one go
> just by giving the correct path. This is trivial to do from crontab
> without any significant shell scripting experience. Bogofilter also
> has a perl script that that will do training to exhaustion from two
> corpus folders, which is even easier. Claws-mail and kmail both have
> bogofilter and spamassassin plugins that that make them as easy to
> use as the Bayesian filtering in Thunderbird.

Writing a dspam plugin for claws is on my to do for a looong time. But
since I don't really need it ...

> Secondly, like a lot of people who run mail filtering software on
> desktop computers, I'm not using an MTA, I use getmail to fetch mail
> from pop/imap accounts and feed it through spam filters to dovecot.
> Lots of people use getmail or fetchmail in this way.

Well, actually the percent is very small compared to the total. But
rest assured we're not planning on forcing anyone to install half of
gnome and half on kde plus two to database servers just to run dspam :-)

> > > I think it's a mistake to lump together all
> > > the parts of DSPAM under a single project name, it gives the
> > > impression that it's a Windows-style monolithic application.
> > >
> > Is it so important if it is monolithic or not? I personally care
> > more about the result of the filtering and the level of maintenance
> > it needs then about the question if it is monolithic or not. But
> > that's just me.
>
> I would hope it is just you, I certainly wouldn't run DSPAM if it
> dictated how I process my mail, and really did require me to
> install an unwanted MTA and webserver, just to do simple
> mail-filtering.

It doesn't and it won't.

One of the point Steve was trying to make here is that with limited
resources we have to prioritize what we work on.
Dspam's code is a little monolithic; some things you can patch, other
would require quite a rewrite. I don't like it but that's what we have
to work with.

Please keep in mind that we all do this for free, in our spare time
(not that we know what spare time is, really). And as such there's no
way we can accommodate everyone wishes not because we wouldn't like
to, but because we don't have the time.
So what will go in first is what we need and what you and other people
send patches for; and some of the requested features; and what is it
needed behind the scene to make it all work.

There's been a lot of unseen work in the last two months that doesn't
show up yet, but will hopefully impact the devel positively in the
future.

And one of the reasons we're encouraging everyone to use the request
tracker is to give us a broader view of what needs to be done in order
to plan our devel accordingly.

> > >  If you read around a bit more, you may
> > > find out about the hash driver, and home-directory support.
> > > However, the hash driver support is much less mature, and unlike
> > > Bogofilter and Spamassassin, DSPAM doesn't honour $HOME, so you
> > > can't use virtual home directories.
> > >
> > What do you mean with "virtual home directories"? Could you explain
> > me what this is?
>
> Pseudo home directories for virtual users. It's a pity this doesn't
> work for another reason. According to the documentation only the hash
> driver is fast enough to cope with some of DSPAM's more advanced
> filtering options, and AFAIK the hash driver doesn't support virtual
> users.

Making it honoring $HOME wouldn't be that easy if I understand
correctly what you want.

FreeBSD committer -> ite...@freebsd.org, PGP Key ID 057E9F8B493A297B

!DSPAM:1011,497c3954150926403919763!