Ok, I may be in Japan right now but I have to kick in on this thread.

First off, I had MCE enable the Cardbus in my 2400, and CardBus
worked afterwards. That's about it. I wasn't terribly happy with the
way the treated me on the phone and they didn't keep me updated when
I requested that they did. I'll I asked was to be e-mailed with the
tracking number when it was shipped, instead I had to waste mine and
their time asking about it.

A few months ago when I figured out how to repair a bad clicker in
the 2400, I shared how to do it. Some people aren't comfortable doing
the repair them self, and I offered to do it for what I think is a
reasonable price. I never keep how I do the repair secret. I want
people to know what I'm doing. Heck, I sometime lose money on the
repairs I make.

Same with the paint jobs for PowerBooks I'm offering. I share how I
do it, and if anyone e-mail me with a question, I do my best to help.

My views, flame me if you want.

1- It is not wrong to share information on how to make a modification
that someone else charges for. The way some people have been arguing
on it subject makes it seem like if Company 'FooBar' charges to swap
the hard drive in your 2400, no one should share how to do that to
their 2400. That's stupid.

2 - MCE did not develop the CardBus activation technique, no way, no
how. They just are offering to do the modification for those
uncomfortable soldering to the board of their 2400 (like me) They
don't have to share how they do it, but it would be nice if they did.
The CardBus activation is all over the place on the web, however in
Japanese. After looking at how to do it, I decided I should let
someone else with the proper equipment for working on surface mount
parts do it, like MCE.

3 - The CardBus activation can not be patented or trademarked, the
best it can be is hidden as a trade secret, but once a trade secret
is out, there is nothing that can be done about it. Example, it can
be a trade secret as to how to put on your pants, but once its out
there is nothing that can be done about it.

4 - Companys that do the CardBus activation, when asked if 'blah" is
the right way to do it should confirm if it is right or wrong. If
they come back and say 'no comment' I wouldn't trust them AT ALL.

Ok, with that off my chest, I'm back to being a tourist ... c'ya all in a week.
--
Peter Liethen   -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   -   http://www.liethen.com