On 2010/09/24 14:36 (GMT+0200) Ralph Glasstetter composed:

Thanks much for responding! :-)

> it's not possible to contain capther marks in the mpg-file and therefore
> DeVeDe
> does know nothing about them!

> The only thing DVBcut does concerning the chapters is to give you a comma
> separated list of the chapter timestamps at the end of the DVBcut export
> step which you have to convert or copy&paste by yourself in a format which

It didn't create any comma separated list for me, only an XML file .dvbcut
(containing start, end, and chapter numbers, mpeg path, idxfile path), an
index .ts.idx, and the .mpg dir containing AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS.

> DeVeDe recognizes (if possible, I'm not familar with DeVeDe).

What do you use to do what DeVeDe does (assemble files to be burned, set
titles, set thumbs, etc., then make an iso)?

My KDE menu under Multimedia currently contains:
DeVeDe
MPEG Parser
Project X
dvbcut
dvdrip
dvdslideshow
qdvdauthor
tovid

Some packages YaST2 lists:
dvbcut
replex
dvd+rw-tools
dvdauthor
dvdrip
kde3-k3b
lsdvd
subtitleripper
tovid
ffmpeg
mpg123
xvid4conf
lame
dv2sub
dvdwizard

> Additionally DVBcut outputs also simple xml for dvdauthor containing the
> timestamps
> which you could use as basis for creating a DVD with chapters (the simple xml
> is doing it without menus).

I tried QDVDAuthor, but so far can't figure out how to make it recognize the
XML file dvbcut created, and trying to use its wizard it doesn't seem to be
interested in dvbcut's .mpg directory containing AUDIO_TS & VIDEO_TS.

> Actually you could also use the 5th option in the DVBcut export menu to
> directly pipe
> the mpg-file to dvdauthor and create a dvd titleset you could burn on a DVD
> (again
> without menus).

YaST2 says I have 0.6.0-0-pm.2.1 installed, and no newer version available
from Packman. There is no 5th option. I have only:

1-MPEG program stream (DVBCUT multiplexer)
2-MPEG program stream (libavformat)
3-MPEG transport stream (libavformat)
4-DVD-Video titleset (dvdauthor)

> If you want to have fancy menues with thumbnails I would recommend to use
> dvdwizard, a commandline tool (actually a bunch of bash scripts), which uses
> dvdauthor
> and other tools for creating everything automatically.

> For instance:
>
> dvdwizard -T "Two Movies" -t "Movie 1" -c
> "<DVBcutsCommaSeparatedChapterlist>"  movie1.mpg -t "Movie 2" -c 480
> movie2a.mpg movie2b.mpg

> will create a DVD with 2 movies, the first one with chapter markers pasted
> from DVBcut and the second
> (made out of two single files) with automatic chapters every 8 minutes!

I thought this seemed simple enough, but how do I convert the XML file to
comma separated?

http://dvbcut.sourceforge.net/index.html has no apparent usage instructions.
It seems simple enough to follow my nose, except for choosing output format
and this comma separated business. Seems like that XML file has in it the
most important things some tool would need to convert dvbcut output to an iso
ready to burn, with only thumbnail lacking, which could be taken from a
marker like a bookmark or chapter start. This all is just complicated enough
to make me think I've missed some FAQ or HOWTO Google should have made
obvious if it wasn't for all the noise from proprietary Windows solutions.

I see in the dvdwizard man page -WS. Is that a way to remove the letterboxing
from the source .ts file during processing, so that the TV in playback only
needs to stretch it horizontally and not vertically too?

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/