The recent ham radio visit to Desecheo Island appears to have resurfaced as a messy situation now having US Congressional attention. Resources Committee Ranking Democrat U.S. Rep. Nick J. Rahall is identified with a staff report on the matter dated apparently June 20, 2006, with the title "Club Fed...." If one reads this total report, one conclusion is that, regardless of the final outcomes, ham radio has received a huge black eye over this matter. This is not the kind of image we want and obviously will do our fraturnity no good in the future.

As an ARRL member (Life), I suggest that the DXCC approval for this operation be immediately reexamined with the distinct possibility of reversing the previous and dubious DXCC approval (based on a tape recorded verbal statement?) and a notice be made, if found justified, that this operation does not represent the vast majority of world-wide law-abiding ham radio operators. Perhaps Desecheo I. should be permanently removed from the DXCC list to avoid future such problems.

If this Congressional report is correct, the ham radio community must take swift action to condemn this kind of activity and encourage no more like it ever in the future.

I realize I risk raising the ire of other radio hams by raising this issue that we likely all wish would just go away. But, it is not going away and in fact is now even more at the forefront of governmental attention. I appeal to the ham radio community to act in our defense so that other DXpeditions and all hams are not tar-ed with a nasty brush. 73,

Charles Harpole
[EMAIL PROTECTED]