On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Charles Harpole wrote:

> The recent ham radio visit to Desecheo Island appears to have resurfaced as
> a messy situation now having US Congressional attention.  Resources
> Committee Ranking Democrat U.S. Rep. Nick
> J. Rahall is identified with a staff report on the matter dated apparently
> June 20, 2006, with the title "Club Fed...."  If one reads this total
> report, one conclusion is that, regardless of the final outcomes, ham radio
> has received a huge black eye over this matter.  This is not the kind of
> image we want and obviously will do our fraturnity no good in the future.

[snip]

> If this Congressional report is correct, the ham radio community must take
> swift action to condemn this kind of activity and encourage no more like it
> ever in the future.

The Congressional report seems to be at variance somewhat with the program
presented at the Dayton DX Forum this year.

I suspect this Congressional report didn't just happen.  I have a speaking
susnicion that the person responsible for their being removed from the
island in the first place is still out there trying to make all the
trouble he can.

The ops said at Dayton that even they don't know who was responsible.  If
they have given ham radio and DXing a black eye, this unknown whiner has
done it double duty.

73, Zack W9SZ