Please don't mind me chiming in here... but

Installing the executables in the Program Files directory is fine... but
it is a bad choice for data... always has been!

You don't have to install in root. But there is absolutely no problem in
doing so. It is only installing one directory in root... and the
limitations on the number of files in the root directory disappeared
long long ago. There is no technical reason for it to be a "nono".

What I have done here is create a "Programs" directory and install most
of my ham stuff there ie C:\Programs\DX... putting all the ham stuff
under one directory is tidier and I don't have to worry about write
restrictions on the "Program Files" hierarchy.