On 22/08/16 15:53, Joachim Hein wrote:
Hi Ward,

Thanks for the swift reaction. So a scipy-0.17.1-intel-2016b-Python-2.7.12.eb should not be needed, since the Python module Python-2.7.12-intel-2016b.eb has scipy 0.17.1 in its extension list?

Indeed.
And when scipy 0.18.0 is released, we can install it without touching the existing Python 2.7.12 installation.

So the only think popping up to me is the mpi4py, if a user needs a 2.0.0 instead of the 1.3.1 inside the Python config. But in general this should not be a performance issue like e.g. compile netlib blas vs MKL. Correct?
Indeed, the intention there is to install that mpi4py as a standalone module, on top of the existing Python 2.7.12 installation. Via $PYTHONPATH, the mpi4py 2.0.0 installation will have preference if the module is loaded.

Knowing this earlier might have saved me some time. But it will now into the future. Should we sort of retire (that is remove) things like SciPy from the eb-configs?

The current policy is to not remove existing easyconfig files we included in the central repository. That is, until we will deprecate a bunch of old toolchains (more on that later).

regards,

Kenneth

Thanks and best wishes
  Joachim