On 16-08-23 07:10, Kenneth Hoste wrote:
On 22/08/16 15:59, Maxime Boissonneault wrote:
Thanks, but what I meant is to have EasyBuild generate a wheel house, rather than install them from a wheel (i.e. build the wheels rather than install them as modules).

Hmm, what would that involve, exactly?

This sounds like it may be out of scope for EasyBuild, although I'm not sure...

I see it as a different target for installation.
If installing a package is done through
pip install <packagename>

then creating the wheel is done through
pip wheel <packagename>

This creates a wheel (which is just like a binary RPM, but for Python). The pip wheel command reads the pip config file, to figure out where to save the generated binary. Here is what our PIP_CONFIG_FILE looks like:
[mboisson@colosse3 ~]$ cat $PIP_CONFIG_FILE
find-links = /software6/apps/python/wheelhouse/gcc

find-links = /software6/apps/python/wheelhouse/gcc
wheel-dir = /software6/apps/python/wheelhouse/gcc
use-wheel = true

find-links = /software6/apps/python/wheelhouse/gcc
use-wheel = true
only-binary = numpy,scipy,mpi4py,pandas,h5py,Cython

Maybe open an issue with a feature request in the easybuild-framework repo with more details (or a pull request that adds this functionality ;-))?

Maybe one day. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about EasyBuild's innerworking to contribute at this point.