Here at Hofstra students are expelled automatically upon conviction of
their second case of plagiarism.  conviction can occur even in the
absence of proof of plagiarism--it is defined in the student code as
even the "appearance" of plagiarism.  thus, a student repeatedly seen
looking at their neighbor's paper during a test can be considered to be
plagiarizing even if they claim they were just stretching their neck or
whatever.  We use the Turnitin.com service a lot, our students expect
it.  we run workshops in our intro bio courses on what plagiarism is and
is not, our students are often surprised to learn how much they do is
actually plagiarism.  the ones we mostly catch now are those they were
too negligent to check their turnitin reports before submitting their
papers for grading.

Dr. Russell Burke
Department of Biology
114 Hofstra University
Hempstead, NY 11549
voice: (516) 463-5521
fax: 516-463-5112
http://www.people.hofstra.edu/faculty/russell_l_burke/

>>> Andy Dyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/3/2006 11:44 AM >>>

I am currently pursuing an undergraduate case where I will advocate
that
the student in question be expelled for the 4th documented occurrence
of
plagiarism.  We cannot, in good conscience, allow students that cheat
graduate from our departments.  I consider plagiarism to be
intellectual
dishonesty of the worst kind.  It is premeditated cheating: planned
and
intentional.

What could be worse than plagiarism at the next level?  Now, I
understand that there can be mistakes.  I helped publish a MS thesis a
few years back that had direct uncredited quotes, but I believe the
student had written the quotes into a note book from papers on the
subject and then later failed to recognize that the notes did not
represent his/her own writing.  Sloppy, but excusable, and I caught it
in time. And I became more careful after that.

Bottom line, if it's intentional, it's serious and should not be
tolerated.
Andy

Andrew R. Dyer
Assoc. Professor of Ecology