At the university of Wageningen they check the work from students with
special software that compares the text with a database and the
internet. Might be a solution but I can imagine that the situation is
more complex with many articles not available online etc.

See also this webpage:
http://www.wb-online.nl/index.php?/krant/onderwijs.php?k=0703
[switch to english and scroll down to fraud detection made easier]

Al the best
Ralph Smits