As one of many hopeful individuals trying to find an open program in which to
begin an advanced degree, I'd also like to point out the pitiful state of
scientific funding in North America. The current NSERC funding success rate is
below 8%, and the NSF success rate hovers around 20%. Additionally, in my
discussions with students of all levels, both current and (hopefully)
prospective, I've noticed that funding has essentially dried up for M.Sc
candidates, and is not much better for Ph.D candidates.

I'm wondering if any subscribers have recommendations for programs abroad,
like MESPOM, that welcome foreign students instead of stack the deck against
their entry.

Dr. Dossey, thank you for a well written submission that rings all too true.