From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Aaron T. Dossey
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 7:41 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] "The Audacity of Graduate School"

This s very good advice.  I would add to talk all students, postdocs, both
current AND FORMER from the labs you are considering.  Do this well
in advance, even before you apply.   Consider not ONLY their opinion of
the experience "yeah, I had fun" will not get you a good career/job.
Ask them questions like "were you allowed to publish your own work
independently of the boss if you wished?", "did your boss force you to work
evenings and weekends?", "How many hours per week did your faculty boss
actually work in the lab?  How frequently did you meet with them, or even
see them?  Every week, few weeks, every few months, or less?"...
I can give you additional important questions to ask if you like.

"Only 2 years for MSc" is a bit misleading.  In science careers most of the
time MSc doesn't count for much - the oligarchs and gatekeepers of the ivory
tower categorize the world as "Ph.D. or no Ph.D.", which I find deplorable,
elitist and unproductive.  Also, consider the following as to the value of a
Ph.D. in one's career search - and that 14% or less of Ph.D.s will get one
of those cushy academic positions (and read the articles and posts on this
page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Postdoc-Union/275402225908673 ):

When we graduate, we have more or less the same credentials as everyone else
- a degree.  There are many successful scientists without Ph.D.'s but many
more with Ph.D.'s who are unemployed.  In the field of environmental
science, for example, I would guess that the need for a Ph.D. is even less -
there is a great need for this feed particularly in applied work, policy,
non-profit organizations, etc.  Also, to emphasize how little we get out of
a Ph.D. (a lot is stolen from us), we don't get credit for our work or
publications because the professor always gets credit for everything we do
while in their lab as a student or postdoc (which is something I am fighting
on other fronts - I call it institutionalized intellectual property theft).
Also, right out of undergrad or grad school, the academic world (guess what
- 14% or less of Ph.D.'s in this country will land one of those cushy cushy
do-nothing-paid-much supreme-court-like job security independent academic
research jobs anyhow) you haven't yet finished the requirement of your
indentured servitude.  You must still pay the faculty gatekeepers MORE years
of your life and intellectual property via endless postdoc/postech/postemp
positions.  Again, read the articles on the "National Postdoc Union" page.
No one gets a faculty position right out of grad school anymore, or anything
close to it, unless they marry into one, their spouse gets one for them or
some other form of nepotism (a friend or relative on the search committee).

On 10/17/2012 1:23 AM, David Schneider wrote:
> Hello Ecolog,
> Here are my thoughts, written 11 PM from Boulder, CO.
>
> Grad school is indeed audacious, and not a default choice.
> As someone who spent 3 years on the 'dark side' (academic
> admin) I know that there are *huge* differences among labs.
> Some labs are very happy and students move to productive professional
> lives.  Other labs are miserable.
>
> My advice is, ask yourself why you are going to grad school.  Then use
> the web to investigate labs. In addition to contacting the prof,
> contact students in the lab and ask them about their experience.  Like
> me, some profs encourage  prospective students to contact current and
> former students (maybe I'm weird).
>
> By way, the numbers on NSERC (Canada) success rates quoted below are
> misleading.  Success rates are low in some programs, well above 70% in
> others.  For grad students, most universities in Canada offer 20-25K/
> year in science, if you meet academic standards and are accepted.
> It's not princely, but then it's only 2 years for MSc, if you find the
> right lab.  And it's mostly or all a stipend.
> It's not full time TA.
>
> David S.
> http://www.mun.ca/osc/dschneider/
>

> Quoting "Aaron T. Dossey"<bugoc...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Actually, I would strongly recommend AGAINST grad school, or grad
>> school only as a last resort.  There are many ways to achieve a
>> successful and fruitful career while following your dreams, and many
>> roads that do not lead through a stint as a temporary under-paid
>> technician/piece of equipment (ie: grad student and
postdoc/postech/postemp).

--
Aaron T. Dossey, Ph.D.
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Founder/Owner: All Things Bugs
Capitalizing on Low-Crawling Fruit from Insect-Based Innovation
http://allthingsbugs.com/about/people/
http://www.facebook.com/Allthingsbugs
1-352-281-3643

believed to be clean.