"Isn't that taken care of by the first author/last author distinction?"
NO - see my previous emails today on this topic as well. Here is an excerpt: The publication opportunity I was referring to earlier was not for very young inexperienced scientists with no degree (shortly out of high school). First note that you said "primary author". What you mean is "first author", but the more prestigious and career-important author position is CORRESPONDING author. Through corresponding authorship, you get contacted by colleagues about your work for collaborations, JOB OFFERS, and even journal awards (I got screwed out of one because of this). Of course faculty demand this for themselves, even if they didn't earn any form of authorship, because they can filter communications between readers and the other authors.

"Or are you talking about taking the student's idea outright?"
This happens a lot actually, and with a VERY high frequency to postdocs.

"people who do creative work as employees rarely keep the rights to their work. Typically, the intellectual property belongs to their employer" The EMPLOYER of students is the institution. I have no problem with IP sharing if a student or any other employee of an institution uses the institution's (eg: the people's) resources to invent something that does or could make money. Often the IP portion going to the institution is about 50% which I think is fair in most cases, unless the person only works there part time or can somehow that the institution and/or its staff some how did not contribute to the invention significantly or even were counter-productive in the endeavor. Thus, in your analogy - if a scientist working at a company invents something or otherwise produces something (artwork for marketing, etc.) in the course of their work there, it is typically company property and in some cases an agreement of royalty sharing (probably rare). It does NOT belong to their supervisor. Their supervisor is merely another employee serving a different role - but is NOT necessarily involved in the invention or credit/reward for it, nor should they be by default alone.

"Isn't it better to say that grad students are not employees?"
At BEST students are treated like employees in our broken Academia system. They are often treated simply as pieces of equipment or slaves. ie: "What you produce belongs to the professor, regardless of any other detail or fact." Deplorable.