This s very good advice. I would add to talk all students, postdocs, both current AND FORMER from the labs you are considering. Do this well in advance, even before you apply. Consider not ONLY their opinion of the experience "yeah, I had fun" will not get you a good career/job. Ask them questions like "were you allowed to publish your own work independently of the boss if you wished?", "did your boss force you to work evenings and weekends?", "How many hours per week did your faculty boss actually work in the lab? How frequently did you meet with them, or even see them? Every week, few weeks, every few months, or less?"... I can give you additional important questions to ask if you like.

"Only 2 years for MSc" is a bit misleading. In science careers most of the time MSc doesn't count for much - the oligarchs and gatekeepers of the ivory tower categorize the world as "Ph.D. or no Ph.D.", which I find deplorable, elitist and unproductive. Also, consider the following as to the value of a Ph.D. in one's career search - and that 14% or less of Ph.D.s will get one of those cushy academic positions (and read the articles and posts on this page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Postdoc-Union/275402225908673 ):

When we graduate, we have more or less the same credentials as everyone else - a degree. There are many successful scientists without Ph.D.'s but many more with Ph.D.'s who are unemployed. In the field of environmental science, for example, I would guess that the need for a Ph.D. is even less - there is a great need for this feed particularly in applied work, policy, non-profit organizations, etc. Also, to emphasize how little we get out of a Ph.D. (a lot is stolen from us), we don't get credit for our work or publications because the professor always gets credit for everything we do while in their lab as a student or postdoc (which is something I am fighting on other fronts - I call it institutionalized intellectual property theft). Also, right out of undergrad or grad school, the academic world (guess what - 14% or less of Ph.D.'s in this country will land one of those cushy cushy do-nothing-paid-much supreme-court-like job security independent academic research jobs anyhow) you haven't yet finished the requirement of your indentured servitude. You must still pay the faculty gatekeepers MORE years of your life and intellectual property via endless postdoc/postech/postemp positions. Again, read the articles on the "National Postdoc Union" page. No one gets a faculty position right out of grad school anymore, or anything close to it, unless they marry into one, their spouse gets one for them or some other form of nepotism (a friend or relative on the search committee).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Postdoc-Union/275402225908673