Here are what I see as some problems with the idea that homosexuality in
humans is rooted in the genetics of kin selection, as proposed earlier in
this thread.

1. Suppose an individual is born with a mutation that makes him/her
inclined to homosexuality and to avoid reproduction.  If this individual
then "helps around the nest" he/she may enhance the survival of near
relatives WHO DO NOT BEAR THE GENE, since the mutation is new.  How would
this mutation enter the population?

2. Insofar as the kin-selection mechanism requires restricted gene flow,
how can we assume that this condition prevailed for our wondering,
hunter-gatherer ancestors?  Wondering groups don't have to be in contact
very long to exchange mates or rape each other.

3. It's not clear that an individual's personal inclination to engage in
mating behavior would have much to do with whether they actually mated.  I
refer, of course, to rape, but also other forms of social persuasion.
Also, just because a few males in the group may prefer each other to
females, that doesn't mean the remaining males couldn't keep all the
females pregnant, thus favoring their genes over the non-players.

4. The hypothesis, as presented in this thread, seems to rely on early
populations having been resource-limited, so they would benefit from
decreasing the number of mouths to feed.  But isn't it also possible that
they were NOT resource limited.  If migratory groups were expanding into
new territory, they might have faced abundance of resources, especially as
their tools and weapons made more things available to them.  Also, given
the defenselessness of naked humans or pre-humans when unarmed, and the
dangers of hunting nasty animals when armed, it is quite possible that
those early populations were limited by predation and traumatic injury.  In
that case, limiting reproductive output would seem to be very unfavorable.

I realize that some of these hypothetical conditions, if they obtained,
might tend to contradict each other, or cancel each other out, but I
nevertheless believe they indicate against ready acceptance of the
kin-selection mechanism.

Martin M. Meiss