Jason touches on my primary concern with this situation, other than having
a Ph.D. that might eventually enable me to do no better than tech position
in the field that I love. Ecology, evolution, and to a broader extent the
organismal sciences have been predominately white and middle-class fields
ever since they stopped being exclusively white and upper-class fields. The
current situation makes it insanity for anyone without a strong safety net
to pursue a Ph.D. in evolutionary biology, which further limits the
diversity of viewpoints that we can bring to our investigations and
discussions. I think that will hinder the progress of evolutionary biology,
and perhaps these other fields as well.

--
Cynthia F. O'Rourke, Ph.D.
Biology Department