Hello,

I have a question for those of you who are familiar with point and shoot
digital cameras that have built-in GPS units. A project I have acquired
this summer involves a plant inventory on a ~7,000 acres site (open and
dense canopy areas). In part, the protocol requires us to take a picture
of each plant species and document their latitude and longitude
coordinates. To optimizes my time effectively, using a camera that
geotags each picture would seem to work well.

The main interests I have in the point and shoot camera in not so much
how the quality the picture takes, but how accurate the camera will pick
up coordinates. I have spent a considerable amount of time online, and
calling local camera stores researching which point and shoot camera
would have the best GPS quality; however, I have found very little
information about the accuracy and performance in these built-in GPS
units. I am currently looking into the Canon PowerShot D20 or the Ricoh
G700 SE-M.

If anyone has experience using digital cameras with built-in GPS units
in the field, I would truly appreciate your thoughts.

Most grateful,

Jacob