From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Jacob Hadle
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 6:18 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Built in GPS unit in Point and shoot cameras

Thank you all for the helpful replies.  This gives me a lot to work with.

It seems that acquiring GPS coordinates should not be that difficult to
obtain on site, but we would prefer the accuracy to be <20m from were the
picture was taken.  Even course geo-references would be valuable as well.

I have one more small question to ask: for those of you who have used P&S
cameras with built-in GPS units, were you able to view the lat/long in the
display view right after you took the picture?  Also, is it possible to
convert among different geo-coordinate systems (i.e. degrees minutes seconds
to decimal degree, etc.) in the settings view of some cameras?

Thank you,
Jacob