On Fri, 2016-03-18 at 20:02 +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 03/18/16 19:40, David Woodhouse wrote:
>

> > But this is different. This is the commit messages. And what would you
> > know... the last commit message in the log which isn't ASCII *isn't*
> > that other one I pointed out; it's one from you (7daf2401) in which you
> > commit the heinous crime of slepping Michał Zegan's name correctly :)
> I went to extreme lengths to commit his name correctly. It wasn't at all
> natural for me. But names are names.
>

> > No, I genuinely don't know of any reason to eschew non-ASCII characters
> > in commit messages.

> Because they are a PITA for people who don't use UTF-8 generally? (I
> don't.)

This doesn't really make sense at any level. You must have to jump
through hoops to still operate a legacy 20th-century character set on a
modern Linux distribution, surely? And it must confer *no* benefit to
you — unless you count it as a benefit that you have to go to 'extreme
lengths' just to get someone's *name* right — something that normally
ought to Just Work™ when you use 'git am'.

And once it's been committed, either your system just doesn't display
the commit logs correctly at all (and gets names like Michał's wrong),
or you shouldn't even *notice* the emdash. Which is it?

I strongly suspect the latter, and that you only noticed because you
were looking closely at the encoding because of that Evolution bug?

> People still write RFC's today, and I think those are all pure ASCII
> as well.

∃ lots of things which can fit in pure ASCII.
∃ lots of things which don't.

> Anyway, we won't convince each other; we've been through this. Feel free
> to post non-ASCII in the commit messages; should I come across them,
> I'll try to fix them up (except in names).

No. Please don't. If this was another of the bizarre but enforced-by-
the-project things then I was prepared to tolerate it until it could be
fixed, but if you are just mangling my commit messages to make them
less grammatically correct for an unsupportable personal preference,
then that's not OK.

The correct character to use in that situation is the emdash, If you
*absolutely* must, then rewrite the whole sentence to avoid using it.
Do *not* replace it with hyphens. And when you do tweak a commit
message, it is best practice to *note* that you have done so, and why.

Rewriting it for this reason is *not* acceptable.

--
dwmw2