I suggest that the organizers are accustomed to collecting
registration information for educational events involving minors,
where collection of personally identifying information of volunteers
is in some cases mandatory. For example, one of the educational events
I helped start and still volunteer for -- http://hackthefuture.org --
we have "encouraged but not mandatory" LiveScan background checks
(usually asked of volunteers who don't know any existing mentors to
vouch for them) and tuberculosis skin tests. Wikimedian events have
involved very serious transgressions by sexual predators in the past,
some of whom relied on anonymity.

Perhaps the organizers can run a second round of enrollment for
volunteers who want to maintain their anonymity more than they want to
be considered for invitation to events involving minors?

Best regards,
Jim