This is all great advice from everybody. Bill, I hope you do get on the air and
get some 'on-the-job' training. We'll definitely slow down for ya.

This brings up a very legitimate point. It used to be that the novice bands
were the training ground for new hams, or even for seasoned hams wanting to
practice their code speed and CW skills.

As a novice, I used to love to talk to non-novices that would come into the
novice band to talk to us newbies, because generally they pushed me to faster
speeds than I was used to. It was good practice.

Since I've upgraded, I've still tried occasionally to keep up this custom of
going into the novice bands and calling a slow CQ in case there are any folks
wanting to have a QSO. In fact, just in the last month, I've been doing this a
lot more. However... in the last month I think I've spent a total of two solid
hours calling CQ (!) without a single response. How sad, but there seems to be
nobody left in the novice bands, let alone any that would answer my CQ. I
haven't heard a single signal there in years. Have you?

Well, maybe one of these days, someone will answer...

Al W6LX