Jon,

You have the KPA100 removal steps correct, but I suggest that you do not
do that yet.
Instead do a quick test - remove the APP connector from the KPA100 and
power the K2 from the coaxial power jack.

Then set the power at 5 watts and measure the power output with your
external wattmeter (connected into a dummy load).
Do the same but with the power set to 2 watts.

Did you get 10 or 12 watts in both those tests?  Or did you get
something close to the requested power?

If your actual power was much greater than the requested power, the most
likely cause is that diodes D16 and D17 in the KPA100 wattmeter have
been damaged.  Remove the KPA100 physically and repeat the test with the
coax to the wattmeter connected to the BNC ANT jack on the base K2.  If
you have normal power control, then the KPA100 wattmeter diodes are the
culprit.

Those diodes are used for power control when the KPA100 is installed,
and if damaged, the K2 and KPA100 will go to full power output which
will likely put it into a non-linear condition.

The other thing that will cause distortion in SSB is the KPA100 ribbon
cable and speaker cable - if it is close to the KSB2 board, some
coupling can occur.  To easily position the cables, remove the right
side panel and tuck the cables into the space behind the heat sink and
at the top of the control board.  Keep the cables as far away from the
KSB2 board as possible.

73,
Don W3FPR