Jon,

Your 1/3 rule is right for continuous duty data modes like RTTY, but I
understand (and have not tried to figure out the details for myself)
that plain PSK31 does not come up to a full duty cycle - something about
the coding, so you might go up to 1/2 the normal rated power - 6 or 7 watts.

If you push it more than that, put your hand on the bottom rear cover
once in a while.  If it is too hot to hold your finger on it constantly,
then you should back off the power a bit.

73,
Don W3FPR