Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 13:07:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: AA1QG <terjearnt...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Still lacking
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

Ok, you win, I?ll order a KX3 when it arrives!

I have quite a few 5-10w portable radios gathering dust unless I plan
to operate CW. My trusty K2 has the 100W PA, which I usually run at
25-50 watts using a 14AH battery and an K1 tuner (which tackles 50W
well in spite of being rated lower). The power difference is not
impressive in terms of db, but when operating SSB on 60m and below
having a bit more power output often is the difference between having
a QSO and having a frustrated operator at both ends.

Please consider a KX3 Heavy Duty version, with a lithium battery and
higher power output  (25W) in a bigger box. There really is gaping
hole in the market for such a rig, since most rigs either are too
puny in terms of power or battery capacity (i.e. FT-817) or too
battery thirsty (FT-897 for example). I would buy one or two on the
spot, and I know a lot of hams who for various reasons have to
operate portable - typically having residential noise problems or
antenna restrictions -  likely will buy one as well.

73?s

Terje

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45