Edward KL7UW wrote:

> As an alternative, might you consider a small amplifier?  TAPR is
> offering a 20w HF/6m amplifier called the "Pennywhistle".
> http://www.tapr.org/kits_pw.html
> drives with 1/4w and runs on 12vdc.

An external amp in a clamp-on case that fits on the bottom might be a good
compromise.
However, the Pennywhistle isn't enough. You also need their Transmit
Bandpass filters (http://www.tapr.org/kits_alex.html) or perhaps K5OOR's
http://site.hfprojectsyahoo.com/low_pass_filters
So a box with the amp, the filters, and the battery starts to get a little
bulky, not to mention an ATU.

You can avoid the ATU if you can figure out how to tap into the KX3 ATU
input.  I suspect if there's enough clamor it could be made to work at 3dB
more input than it's used to.

Leigh/WA5ZNU