[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> There  are  a  great  many  of  us who would at least like to see a CW
>    requirement  maintained  for  the  Extra  Class  exam. There is a very
>    small  (but  real)  chance  that  the  FCC  would  do that if they are
>    provided  with  novel  and  compelling reasons. (Note: The traditional
>    arguments,  such  as  "Without  the  code  test, ham radio will become
>    another   Citizen's  Band,"  are  known  to  the  FCC,  and  they  are
>    unconvinced  by  them.  We  need to get the FCC to say, "Gee, we never
>    thought  of that.") If you'd like to see some semblance of a code test
>    preserved, this is the time to think outside the box.

Some ideas:

1) Don't compromise on what you really want. FCC has a history of going a
step farther, so a comment for Extra only code tests looks to them like a
comment
for none at all. If you think Element 1 should stay, say so!

2) Point out the wide use of Morse Code on HF by hams, and particularly its
use by hams who are technically inclined, homebrewers, etc.

3) Despite the popularity of the mode, hams using Morse Code are rarely the
subject of FCC enforcement actions.

4) Take the time to read the NPRM a couple of times, and specifically comment
on FCC statements that you disagree with. For example, FCC called the FISTS
recommendations of written-test changes "vague", yet they specifically spelled
out exact steps to be taken to improve the written tests.

5) The reductions and eliminations in Morse Code testing since 1990 have not
resulted in longterm changes in the growth of US amateur radio. Nor have they
resulted in an increase in technical development, etc.

6) Suggest that FCC could do something similar to Canada (they still have
code testing, but the grade is considered part of the overall testing, not a
go/nogo standalone element).

7) Suggest that if the code test is eliminated, the bottom 15% of each HF
band should be set aside for Morse Code only.

8) Write your comments in the standards form used by many commenters. (search
ECFS for my comments to previous proposals - last name "Miccolis")

9) Include a brief description of your amateur and professional experience,
education, etc. Whil it may feel like bragging, the FCC does look at who is
commenting as well as what they say.

10) Take your time, spellcheck, proofread, etc. It really matters.

Just IMHO

73 de Jim, N2EY