I disagree. The Extra written exam is significantly harder today than it was 30 years ago. There is a lot more detailed EE theory in it now than there was back then. I took the test twice - in 1974, when I didn't have the EE knowledge (but _was_ a student in EE), and last October (well after earning my degrees). This one was far harder than the first try, even if I did miss only two questions. The degrees, 25 years of EE/CS experience and a lot of advanced experimentation in digital communication modes (both in ham radio and professionally) really helped. The only way I could see non-technical folks passing the exam is to memorize all the questions/answers.

I believe that it is important to keep the Extra test hard - with advanced technology questions. But is CW important for the exam? Probably about as much as knowing which PN codes are the best for Spread Spectrum, and why. Or maybe why FEC is used in data transmissions and how to design a good scheme. Perhaps things like that should be on the exam...

The use of CW is an important and very enjoyable part of ham radio, just as much as any other mode. At this point it is important for us to once again fill the bands with CW, voice and data transmissions or we will start to lose them (as is being attempted by the BPL folks). If it takes deleting the CW requirement to accomplish that, then go for it!