Jessie:

Your point is well taken. If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to repeat it in a filing to the FCC.

73,

Steve
AA4AK

At 02:12 PM 9/2/2005 -0700, Jessie Oberreuter wrote:

I'm a little behind on QRP-L, and I'm trying to avoid contributing noise on the topic, but this one slipped through and caught my attention.

I'm not sure how compelling this might be to the FCC, but it means a lot to me: I think of Extra Class licensees as elmers and mentors. As such, I expect an Extra Class holder to be at least knowledgeable about, if not proficient in, a much wider range of radio activities than the other classes. Indeed, I expect an Extra to have explored activities and modes that he or she may not even be personally interested in simply because without doing that leg work, one can't be an effective mentor for other hams with different interests. For example, I have virtually no interest in operating PSK31, but I took the time to build a warbler and play with the mode simply so I could offer the option to a friend who likes radio, but has a hard time hearing in the presents of typical band noise. Similarly, I have no interest in ATV, but spent time pursuing it just so I could help a friend who /was/ interested get a start. Thus, when I run into an Extra Class op on the air who can't exchange a name and RST at 5wpm, I feel let down: how can you claim to be a contributor to the art and community without making even the most basic investment in the second most popular operating mode? The incentive to become an Extra should not be the bandwidth -- it should be the recognition that you are a person who cares enough about the hobby to become a well versed contributor.

     Thanks for the bandwidth, de kb7psg.

     Some ideas:
     1)  Don't  compromise on what you really want. FCC has a history of
     going  a step farther, so a comment for Extra only code tests looks
     to  them  like  a  comment  for none at all. If you think Element 1
     should stay, say so!
     2)  Point  out  the  wide  use  of  Morse  Code  on HF by hams, and
     particularly   its  use  by  hams  who  are  technically  inclined,
     homebrewers, etc.
     3)  Despite  the  popularity of the mode, hams using Morse Code are
     rarely the subject of FCC enforcement actions.
     4)  Take  the  time  to  read  the  NPRM  a  couple  of  times, and
     specifically  comment on FCC statements that you disagree with. For
     example,  FCC  called  the  FISTS  recommendations  of written-test
     changes  "vague",  yet they specifically spelled out exact steps to
     be taken to improve the written tests.
     5) The reductions and eliminations in Morse Code testing since 1990
     have  not  resulted in longterm changes in the growth of US amateur
     radio.   Nor  have  they  resulted  in  an  increase  in  technical
     development, etc.
     6)  Suggest  that  FCC  could  do something similar to Canada (they
     still  have  code  testing, but the grade is considered part of the
     overall testing, not a go/nogo standalone element).
     7)  Suggest  that if the code test is eliminated, the bottom 15% of
     each HF band should be set aside for Morse Code only.
     8)  Write  your  comments  in  the  standards  form  used  by  many
     commenters.  (search  ECFS  for my comments to previous proposals -
     last name "Miccolis")
9) Include a brief description of your amateur and professional>> experience, education, etc. Whil it may feel like bragging, the FCC
     does look at who is commenting as well as what they say.
     10) Take your time, spellcheck, proofread, etc. It really matters.
     Just IMHO
     73 de Jim, N2EY