-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig Rairdin
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 9:02 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] CW in Emergencies? (WAS: Dropping the Code Test)

> The longer we hold onto this myth, the more likely we are going to be
> "found out" by those who regulate ham radio. We need leaders who can
> help shape ham radio to fit the current reality, not bemoan the dirth
> of skilled CW operators as a problem.

This all wraps around to dropping the Morse requirement. As much as we'd
like to find some justification for maintaining the requirement, it doesn't
seem like there is one -- from the perspective of Amateur Radio as a public
service.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with CW. It's the only mode I'm
interested in, though I bought a mic to test my SSB board. I find CW
challenging and therefore satisfying. After working several hundred Field
Day CW QSOs (my first FD in 30 years) I dropped into the phone tent and was
shocked at how long it took to complete a QSO. And at 2x the point value,
I'm not sure why we even had a phone station. We'd be better off with two CW
stations working two different bands.

Those who worry about ham radio becoming another citizen's band need only
scan 75M at night. They're too late. :-)

Craig