As an old traffic hound (does anyone remember ROOA?) nearly 50
years ago, I regularly worked and ran CW traffic nets, and made
BPL (500 messages/month, not originations) at least a half dozen
times. What we call traffic nets today are a bad joke compared to
those nets. Today, hams are simply poorly trained (even untrained)
to handle traffic, because real traffic nets are few and far
between. Not surprising -- there's rarely a use for them in
today's world until something big happens.

In those days, when something big happened, hams were prepared,
because we had the ongoing training and discipline of REAL traffic
nets. Today, that is simply not the case. How many on this list
know, off the top of their head, the proper format for a piece of
traffic? How many have even HANDLED a piece of traffic in proper
format (or heard it being handled)?

I find the assertion that SSB is easier copy in the presence of
aurora hard to believe. I've worked AU on 6 meters since 1958, and
I can tell you that CW works FAR FAR better than SSB under those
conditions. Any decent CW op can make pretty good copy of a
heavily distorted AU signal that's reasonably above the noise.

The reality is that a marginal antenna and low power has a far
better chance of solid communications using CW with a good op than
an equally good op on SSB. The difference is operator training,
not technology.

But consider this -- I've worked only a bit of PSK31, but it seems
to me that it has much of the advantage of CW for communications
with low power and/or marginal antennas. A PSK31 rig is VERY easy
to put together in an emergency package -- all it takes is a
radio, an antenna, a laptop, Simon Brown's excellent free PSK31
software, and a pair of interface cables that anyone can make with
cables they buy at Radio Shack and modify to fit their rigs.

Such a rig would use minimal battery power, because traffic could
be transmitted in short bursts, and uses standard components. All
you need to stay on the air for a long time is a means of
recharging your batteries. It also doesn't depend on repeaters,
which could be down when they are most needed. Each station in an
emergency area could simply work directly to one or more assigned
partners outside the affected area, and that partner dumps the
traffic onto conventional channels (the internet, etc.).

Jim Brown  K9YC  (ex-W9NEC, W8FNI)