To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 9:55 AM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] An Opportunity for CW Ops

Eric, KE6US wrote:
Does NREN have any statistics about the number of messages they have been
able to handle concerning Hurricane Katrina?

-----------------------------

You might ask NREN. My sense is that they're trying to stimulate interest in
using CW. Clearly, it is not a major traffic mode today. It requires
dedication and training to be ready to handle traffic. At one time I ran CW
nets for the US Army and I'm a commercial radiotelegraph licensee, but I can
tell you I'm scrambling when I try follow proper procedure on a directed net
today. My hat's off to any "casual" CW ops who stumble into a traffic net
and stick it out. The training program NREN is trying to set up sounds
great.

After all these years, I'll in as a student myself if I can schedule the
hours free (I work odd hours). It's been 30 years since I participated in a
CW traffic net.

Ron AC7AC