Milverton,
Respectfully, your reply does not answer the question-- is there really
a need for ESSB?

Your answer merely introduces a totally different argument into this
discussion, (the legal argument), while using my question as a launching
point for a subject change.  I am not asking about if it is legal, I am
asking why do it at all?  Is this really to use an ESSB supporters own
words, "...other hams having fun..."?

The legal issue will sort itself out.  If ESSB does not have it's own
emission definition, (one accepted by the FCC), and is classed with SSB,
then it is not legal.  This conclusion on my part is based on Part
97.307(a), again, this assumes that ESSB and SSB have the same emission
designation as per the FCC.

--
Thanks and 73's,
www.nk7z.net