On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Wes (N7WS) <w...@triconet.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, except for replacing a noisy fan, I've never had a
> computer hardware failure.

Well, you are as rare as hen's teeth. And not only that, you announced it
in public, thus notifying the world AND MURPHY that you are WAY on the
undeserved side of normal experience. Prepare for an onslaught. You have
wakened Smaug with your brag  :>)

At SAS institute, where I worked for 20 years before retirement, there were
> some 20,000 PC's on campus. They had a PC service department of thirty-some
> techs, not counting supervisors, who were always busy 16 hours a day
> fixing/replacing some busted PC or peripheral, or upgrading one so it could
> keep up with more and more resource-thirsty applications. I had a 21 inch
> IBM branded Sony Trinitron monitor that made it until drivers for it could
> no longer be found for the latest version of OS. It was the ONLY PC device
> I had at SAS in 20 years that did not fail in some manner at some point.

There is a point to the idea of not needing a PC for some operations,
particularly portable ones.

73, Guy K2AV