Joe,
I have the same problem with my AGC and when I replaced the 5.068MHz X1
the problem remained. I wonder if both crystals are bad or if there is
some other cause? In my case, when I turn off the AGC, the s-meter gets
pegged at +40 and the audio is muted. Did you change any other
components or did just replacing X1 the first time fix the problem?
Also, what value of RP6 is installed on your control board? My RP6 is a
4.7K network.

Thanks.
Jeff (K2#5210)